The following seven holiday products are the most common Easter dangers:
Eggs - Dyed and Plastic
Shiny plastic eggs may look like toys to your pets. If they chew and swallow the plastic, it can cause intestinal problems that may require surgery. Fresh, hard boiled eggs are not dangerous, but eggs spoil quickly. If days later your pet finds and eats an egg that was undiscovered during the Easter hunt, it can make them very sick. Tip: Keep track of the number of eggs hidden and make
sure all are accounted for at the end of the hunt.
Cats are especially attracted to these shiny shreds, ingesting this "grass" may be lethal. Pets can not digest it, leading to the threads getting stuck in and damaging their intestines. Tip: Try using paper, or even real grass!
Make sure to tell your kids that sharing with the family pet could make them very sick. Still, supervision is key. Tip: Keep your pets in an "Easter free zone" during the festivities.
Easter lilies are one of the most poisonous plants for pets. Vomiting, lethargy and loss of appetite are symptoms of lily poisoning. Tip: Try faux lilies for the same look without the risk.
Too much sugar can also cause digestive upset. Additionally, the foil wrapping around candies can cause internal damage. The sharp pieces may tear your pet's esophagus or intestines. Tip: Be sure to keep a close eye on your pet and clean up all
Small toys are a choking hazard and should be kept away from cats and dogs. Be sure baskets are kept off the ground, or that pets are kept in another room while baskets are being unwrapped. Tip: Make sure all toys and parts are too big for your pet to fit in their mouth.
Baby chicks, bunnies and ducks may seem like the perfect Easter basket addition, but think twice! These cute babies grow up into large,
adult animals requiring full-time care, & they often carry Salmonella. Tip: Stuffed bunnies and chicks make a much better choice as Easter pets!